My weekend muffin experiment using a box cake mix as the base… super easy, just a few ingredients, stir, bake.
I’ve been experimenting in the kitchen with gluten free shortcuts for awhile now. I like baking from scratch, but sometimes it’s nice to whip up muffins or cupcakes on the fly and in a hurry too. Boxed cake mixes can be your friend when you have the time crunch happening or when you’re low on certain ingredients and the nearest store that carries a wider range of gluten free baking necessities is an hour away.
Fortunately, more and more gluten free items are showing up on store shelves, I hope that eventually I won’t have to travel to a special store or place an order online for every.single.thing that I want to have in the pantry, but I’ll be able to run to the local grocery two minutes away from my house and just grab whatever it is I ran out of.
Here’s the recipe for what I did this time around;
- 1 gluten free box cake mix (I used a Betty Crocker gluten free yellow)
- 1 can of pureed pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or more, depending on how spicy you like your pumpkin!)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- preheat oven to 350F
- spray muffin tin with no-stick spray or line with papers and then spray those, whichever you prefer
- In a large bowl mix together all ingredients
- divide mixture evenly into the 12 muffin cups
- bake for 30 minutes
- Enjoy! Great for breakfast or just a snack on an Autumn day.
- **make sure you get the 100% pureed pumpkin and not pie filling - the cans are very similar and often next to each other on the shelves ;-)